Since I have a new cooker I thought I might as well try out some more oven cooking since I hardly used the old one.
In this post I will be introducing you the easy cheat way on how to make the famous Chinese BBQ pork a.k.a char siu 叉燒 (pronounced in Canto as “chaa siu” literally meaning “fork-roast”). The history goes like this: in ancient times they used a fork to hang the pork and roast it. ^_^ That’s it. It’s very different to the Japanese chashu so don’t mistake this as being Japanese!
So here I am using pork loin, pork belly and leftover chicken breast meat and a char siu (cheat) sauce from Lee Kum Kee. In the end you will be so proud of yourself making such a delicious dish.
– Pork loin or pork belly or pork shoulder meat (shoulder meat is the leanest; belly is the fattest)
– Char siu marinade sauce (Lee Kum Kee version)
– chicken breast, chicken wings
– a few drops of red food colouring
That’s all you need!! Already so simple. ^_^
2. Marinade both sides of the meat generously (you can add red food colouring to the marinade to make the meat red like in the restaurants)
4. Pre-heat oven to about Gas mark 7
8. Roast for another 30 minutes
Simple right? Defo simple!! I think I might roast them a bit longer next time… probably 40 minutes and use pork shoulder.
If there are any leftovers, refrigerate or freeze until you next want to use it. ^_^